Dear USHG Colleagues,
We are tremendously proud of all that USHG accomplished this year: from big events we celebrated as company, to the challenges each of our businesses overcame, to the individual successes we have heard from our leaders, managers, and many from our team. As we near 2015, I wanted to take a moment to share some of my reflections on 2014 as well as a preview of just some of the things USHG has to look forward to in the coming year.
- · Four Executive Chef transitions at 4 of our restaurants that demonstrate our desire and drive for uncommon excellence
- The Modern
- North End Grill
- Blue Smoke
- Cafes at MoMA
- Gramercy Tavern’s 20th Anniversary, the beauitul handoff from Kevin to Kim, being named the #1 Favorite Restaurant in Zagat, and achieving new heights for The Race to Deliver
- Maialino’s 5th anniversary and their focus and support during Marta’s opening, the incredible charity event for the Hole in the Wall Gang
- The opening of Marta and their Critic’s Choice 2-star NYT review
- The re-launching of Community Council, providing our team with a coordinated approach to USHG’s commitment to our communities
- The expansion and growth of the Hospitality Quotient team – and their continued success
- Drink Pink & Truffle Shuffle, two fantastic cross marketing promotions which strengthened our brand – internally & externally
- The success of the Autumn Harvest Dinner, and it’s transition from Gramercy Tavern to North End Grill
- The winding down of Untitled and the Whitney Museum’s closure while we await the opening of the Whitney downtown
- The Modern endured a 31-day closure, and all of USHG came together to help them re-open stronger than ever before
- Union Square Cafe’s decision to not renew its lease and begin the search for a new location and its recent experiments in “Gasless Gastronomy” (to borrow Chef Carmen’s words)
- Union Square Events’ openings at the 9/11 Museum and Bloomberg LLP, two additional locations for the venue hospitality team.
- The launch of our first ever Mentor Program
- Expanding our training offerings for all of USHG
- The 30th Anniversary of Union Square Cafe and its move to a new home
- The opening of Porchlight in Jan 2015
- The reopening of the Whitney and a brand new Untitled, to open in May 2015
- New projects to come from the Marta team within the Martha Washington Hotel, to open at various points in the second half of 2015
We have experienced a great deal of change at USHG over the past year and we couldn’t be prouder of where we’ve been, and where we’re headed. Thank you for your hard work, passion, and perseverance. Amidst an eventful year, one thing has remained consistent: the dedication of everyone to continually raise the bar for both service and hospitality and our communal commitment to Enlightened Hospitality.
Happy holidays and here’s to all our USHG team will accomplish in 2015!