USHG Parental Leave Program
At USHG, we are committed to being a company where hospitality professionals can build and advance their careers. We understand that what people need out of a career can evolve over time, particularly when it comes to balancing life needs with professional aspirations.
We are proud to announce our new Parental Leave Program, for ALL full-time employees who have been with us for at least one year, effective January 1, 2017.
We are extending this benefit to all new parents, mothers, fathers and committed domestic partners, for the birth or adoption of a child that occurs after one year with the company. We believe passionately that by offering this benefit – and expanding eligibility – USHG will retain even more of our talented people. The benefit includes:
- 100% of the base wage (at 40 hours/week for non-exempt, hourly employees) for the first four weeks
- 60% of the base wage (at 40 hours/week for non-exempt, hourly employees) for the second four weeks
- Taken within the first year of birth or adoption
We ask that our people provide us with 90 day notice prior to taking the leave to support our leadership in balancing the needs of individuals with the needs of the team.
Using Parental Leave
So you’re going to be a parent! Congratulations.
Whether this is your first time or not, please read below to learn how to request Paid Parental/FMLA leave and short term disability.
1. Please notify your manager and People the Operations Manager in your location at least 90 days in advance by using the Paid Parental Leave Request form; your People Operations Manager can provide this to you. If you do not notify your manager within the 90-day period, it is up to their discretion whether they will approve paid leave or not.
In your request, please designate:
a. Whether PTO will be used and how many days
b. Proposed dates of your leave
2. After receiving manager approval, please submit the form to your People Operations Manager, who will then send the form to the People & Culture team.
3. For birth mothers:
The People & Culture team will send you paperwork and information with instructions on how to apply for Short Term Disability. There are three sections on this application: one for you, one for your doctor, and one for USHG. Please return this in a timely manner so that the provider has ample time to process it. Short Term Disability has a one (1) week day grace period during which no benefits will be paid. You may use PTO for this period if you have accrued enough days.
For all other “soon-to-be parents” – we will also respond to your Paid Parental Leave/FMLA request with any additional information you may need.
Once the baby is born or has been placed in your care (as in the case of adoption), please note the following:
1. In order for the Parental Leave benefit to be paid, we ask that you provide proof of the birth or adoption of your child within 3 days of your first day out, unless you are the recipient of Short Term Disability and your doctor has already completed your claim form. Failure to do so may result in the discontinuation of your Paid Parental Leave benefit.
2. You will have 30 days from the date of birth or placement to enroll the child in USHG benefits, if choosing to do so. To do this, you will need to log on to UltiPro and to enter a Life Event: Myself > Life Event > Add a Dependent
For birth mothers returning to work, please let your manager and People Operations Manager know if you will require any special accommodations as they relate to your recent life event.
If you have any questions about this process, please email PeopleAndCulture@ushgnyc.com